The Military & Veteran Enrollment Specialist position is responsible for providing admissions counseling and enrollment services related to admissions, placement testing or other methods to identify college readiness, registration, records, and military funding requirements to prospective and new students at Pikes Peak State College. This position works with walk-in prospective, new, and continuing students at the PPSC Fort Carson office. Recognizing that many active-duty soldiers are first-generation college students, and have different challenges due to their military commitments, this position will pro-actively identify problems to smooth the soldier’s process through the dual enrollment of both admissions and registration at PPSC and application and registration for DOD OR VA education funds. As a student support specialist, provide detailed information about and help with the enrollment process, academic programs offered at the college, and work with students in-person, on the phone, via email, and text to complete the steps of enrollment to include academic advising based on placement scores and transfer advising.
The college offers the possibility for alternative work arrangements such as flexplace, remote work, or flextime scheduling upon completion of training and department needs.
- Completed Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution with professional level experience performing similar duties to those described for this position in an educational setting OR completed Associate degree with two years of professional level experience performing similar duties to those described for this position in an educational setting.
- Demonstrated understanding of the mission and role of an open-door community college.
Professional level experience is defined by the Colorado Division of Human Resources: A position that involves the exercise of discretion, analytical skill, judgment, personal accountability, and responsibility for creating, developing, integrating, applying, or sharing an organized body of knowledge. Colorado revised statute (C.R.S. 24-50-135(1) allows colleges to exempt positions from the State Personnel Classified System that are determined to be professional level work.
- One year of professional level experience working with active-duty military education benefits (Tuition Assistance, MyCAA Scholarships, Veterans Educational Benefits). Experience will reflect assisting students with the benefit application process and working with the benefits processing on the educational institution side.
- Demonstrated experience working directly with active-duty military students in a student services setting.
- Demonstrated experience working with non-traditional students (adult learners) and the ability to articulate their unique needs.
- One year of professional level experience working in an academic advising capacity to include interpreting placement measures and evaluating prior college coursework for placement.
- Experience with Prior Learning Assessment or Joint Service Transcript evaluation for college credit.
Salary range is $43,506.00 to $44,485.00 annual gross. For full consideration, all application materials must be received by 4:00 p.m. on September 29, 2023. Applications accepted until position is filled.
Must be a State of Colorado resident or able to relocate to Colorado prior to first date of employment.
Application Instructions: Application must be submitted online. Incomplete applications may not receive full consideration. A complete application will include:
- Cover letter - Address the minimum and preferred qualifications in the order listed on the job announcement.
- Resume - Reflect experience, education, knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Unofficial Transcripts - Unofficial transcripts for all degrees conferred. Official transcripts are required if hired for the position.
- Professional References - Provide names and contact information for three recent professional references who can address your expertise and background for this position.
This position may be eligible for a variety of employee benefits. Pikes Peak State College participates in the Colorado Public Employees' Retirement Association (PERA) contribution rates.
Note: Prior submission of application materials will not be considered.
Admissions and Enrollment
- Advising new and current students through admissions and enrollment procedures for both PPSC and military/veteran educational benefits, applying for and authorizing COF, using EAB Navigate, DegreeCheck, and the MyPPSC Student Portal to include setting up student email.
- Identify placement testing requirements, administer Accuplacer, evaluate prior college transcripts to placement exemption, and/or instruct on remote testing using EdReady. To include entering any confirmed scores or placement exemptions.
- Provide direct service to the students in person, on the phone, through email and text messaging to determine the student’s needs and provide service as appropriate through immediate solution or referral to the appropriate person or department.
- Initiate enrollment efforts to increase the applied to enrolled yield and reduce the number of students who drop courses by proactively working with applicants and providing them with the knowledge to empower them to navigate the enrollment process and be prepared for the semester to start.
- Authorize Military Education Counselors to provide necessary overrides for Tuition Assistance approval for any required developmental, study skills, or English as a Second Language coursework identified as required for College Readiness, based on assessment instrument scores.
- Schedule and conduct appointments or other enrollment programming/workshops to assist and empower students to successfully complete the enrollment and Tuition Assistance request processes.
- Advise prospective students to identify academic and career areas of interest, to include a review of the soldier’s Joint Service Transcripts and other prior college transcripts to identify specific degree and/or certificate programs that will maximize PLA and transfer credits identifying their swiftest path to degree completion.
- Provide first semester advising based on placement instruments and/or evaluated prior college coursework and teach students how to use DegreeCheck to show degree area requirements.
- Provide continuing and transfer advising to include using articulation agreements.
- Prepare Evaluated Degree Plans for Military Funding approval.
- Prepare MyCAA Evaluated Education and Training Plans for DOD Spouse scholarship approval.
- Advise students on Prior Learning Assessment options such as CLEP, DSST, or Joint Service Transcript Ace Recommended credits as evaluated by PPSC.
Marketing and Recruitment
- Represent PPSC at recruitment events and community functions as needed.
- Maintain a working knowledge of PPSC’s degree and certificate programs in order to recommend options to prospective students.
- Maintain a collaborative working relationship with four-year on post college representatives for awareness of transfer options and articulation agreements to support students starting with PPSC with the intent to transfer to a bachelor program.
- Maintain office supplies of marketing materials, Ed Center displays, and order additional as needed.
General Duties, Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Cultural competence and demonstrated evidence, understanding, and commitment to the concepts of diversity, multiculturalism, and their application in the workplace.
- Collaborate with appropriate faculty, staff, and Military Education Counselors to support the Department of Military and Veterans Programs, and the college’s mission and goals.
- Use Banner student information system, EAB Navigate and Military Tuition Assistance Portals (ArmyIgnitED, Air Force Portal, or other branch of service portals) to access student records, update student information, and communicate with students.
- Explain college, state, and federal policies, procedures, and information related to admissions, enrollment, military funding, placement, and student services to internal and external customers.
- Provide input on improving processes and procedures related to providing enrollment service to students working through financial aid, records, or other department’s procedures.
- Recommend and direct students to appropriate campus and military Education Center resources as appropriate to assist them in being successful; to include Accommodations, TRIO support services, the Learning Center, and program specific advisors.
- Process documents accurately according to a standard operating procedure.
- Participate in local, state, and national organizations that support military and veteran students in higher education through the establishment of best practices and advocacy.
- Attend, and occasionally lead, job specific workshops, conferences, trainings, and other professional development opportunities.
- Participate in departmental quality control processes and procedures.
- Perform other duties as required by supervisor.
- Ability to provide high-level customer service with individuals and groups in-person, over the phone, via email, and via text-message.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills, interpersonal and organizational skills, and public speaking and presentation skills.
- Works well independently and with a team.
- Demonstrated ability to network and build professional relationships with students, staff, faculty, and community members.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends to accommodate programming and outreach needs.
- Knowledge of college processes, academic programs, and relevant state and federal policies and regulations.
- Knowledge of web-based military Tuition Assistance Policies and Procedures.
- Knowledge of Joint Service Transcripts and Prior Learning Assessment.
- Knowledge of academic placement test proctoring protocols.
- Knowledge of both college and community resources to support military transition challenges and other obstacles to student success.
- Knowledge of active-duty military commitments and priorities as they affect service member’s pursuit of educational goals.
- Experience developing traditional or web-based programming materials for presentations, events, workshops, etc.
- Ability to learn and use multiple software systems to support operations.
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
This job description reflects Pikes Peak State College’s best effort to describe the essential duties and qualifications of the job. It is not an exhaustive statement of all the duties, responsibilities or qualifications of the job. This document is not intended to exclude an opportunity for modifications consistent with providing reasonable accommodation.
EEO Statement: Pikes Peak State College is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Americans with Disabilities Act institution. We value diversity, strive for a more unified campus where all people are valued, treated fairly, and possess a sense of belonging. Pikes Peak State College encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.